[Source: Sonoma press release]
SONOMA, Calif. (Aug. 8, 2012) – Race fans will be treated to a free INDYCAR test session at the raceway in Sonoma on Friday, Aug. 17, as several teams from the IZOD IndyCar® Series head to Sonoma to test the newly modified road course layout.
The one-day test will run from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and allow drivers to test the modified configuration, which features changes to Turns 7, 9 and 11 designed to enhance passing. The test will also allow drivers to test the series’ new race car, which features a new body, new engine and new chassis for 2012, among other enhancements. The open test falls just one week prior to the GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma race weekend, Aug. 24-26.
Twenty drivers from 12 teams are currently scheduled to attend the test, including:
- A.J. Foyt Racing (Mike Conway)
- Andretti Autosport (Marco Andretti, James Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Sebastian Saavedra)
- Chip Ganassi Racing (Charlie Kimball, Graham Rahal)
- Dragon Racing (Sebastien Bourdais, Katherine Legge)
- Ed Carpenter Racing (Ed Carpenter)
- Panther Racing (JR Hildebrand)
- Panther/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (Oriol Servia)
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Takuma Sato)
- Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing (Josef Newgarden)
- Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports (Simon Pagenaud)
- Target Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti)
- Team Penske (Ryan Briscoe, Helio Castroneves, Will Power)
Race fans are invited to watch the test session and enjoy the open paddock. Fans are also invited to attend a press conference with the drivers during the lunch break. The Raceway Café will also be open from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. for breakfast and lunch.
The raceway will feature a number of ticket packages at the test session, highlighted by the Brasil IT+ Total Access package, which includes a reserved Sunday ticket, Garage/Pre-Race Pass and race-day Q&A with Tony Kanaan and Rubens Barrichello for $99. The raceway will also offer guided pit tours for fans who purchase race tickets at the test or have already purchased a race-weekend ticket.
For more information, visit racesonoma.com/indycar or call 800-870-RACE (7223).