[Source: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach press release]
FOUR DECADES OF RACING IN THE STREETS EXHIBIT TO PROVIDE FANS A HISTORY OF THE TOYOTA GRAND PRIX OF LONG BEACH
Displays, Autograph Sessions to Celebrate Grand Prix’s 40-Year History
LONG BEACH, Calif. (March 31, 2014) — Race fans attending the 40th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, April 11-13, will have an opportunity to take a walk down memory lane and get the autographs of three of racing’s greatest drivers at the same time!
A special “Four Decades of Racing in the Streets” display is available to the public in the Promenade Atrium of the Long Beach Convention Center. Admission is free with race ticket.
And, Mario Andretti and Al Unser Jr. – who, between them, won ten Toyota Grands Prix of Long Beach – will be available for autographs in special 45-minute sessions, along with Dan Gurney, legendary driver, car builder and co-founder of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.
· Andretti will sign autographs on Sat., April 12 from 11 a.m. -11:45 a.m. in the Atrium.
· On Sunday, Andretti, Gurney and Unser will sign in a 10:30 a.m.-11:15 a.m. session.
The display features 39 eight-foot boards highlighting each of past races, compete with a winner’s circle photograph and the race’s commemorative poster.
Many of the famous cars that scorched the city’s streets will also be there, including:
· Dan Gurney’s #48 Jorgensen Eagle Formula 5000 car … on Sept. 16, 1975, driven by Vern Schuppan, it was the very first race car to take to the city streets!
· Brian Redman’s F5000 Boraxo Lola T332, the car he drove to the first checkered flag at Long Beach
· Mario Andretti’s Lotus 77, which he drove to a win here in 1977
· The Parnelli VJP 4, in which Andretti finished 15th in 1976
· The famous 6-wheeled Tyrell 007, driven by Jody Scheckter in the 1976 race
· Derek Daly’s Ensign M179, which he drove at Long Beach in 1979
· Alain Prost’s 1980 F1 McLaren M30
· A.J. Foyt’s 1986 March 86C
· RuSPORT’s 2004 Lola Champ Car
· All eight generations of Toyota Pro/Celebrity Race cars, including those driven by Jay Leno, Donny Osmond, Cameron Diaz and Keanu Reeves
Fans can select and pay for their 2014 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach seats, parking and paddock passes online at gplb.com. Ticket orders can also be placed by calling the toll-free ticket hotline, (888) 82-SPEED. Also featured on gplb.com is the latest Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach news, downloadable ticket brochure and racetrack information, photos and ongoing announcements of special race week activities.